Books, Publications and Programs
A display of rowing books and publications and a catalogue of where they can be found.
- Pulling Through - The Story of the King's Cup by Dr Bruce Coe. This book by Bruce Coe tells the fascinating story behind the winning of the 1919 King’s Cup by the Australian Imperial Forces No. 1 crew. You can read more about the book and order it online.
- The Victorian Oarsman and Rowing Register by John Lang, published by A H Massina and Co, 1919. This is a superb record of rowing in Victoria up to 1919 and highly regarded by all who read it. It is a major reference for this website, is accurate and an amazing publication. This book can be found using the link provided.
- The Complete Oarsman by R C Lehmann, published by Methuen & Co London 1908. This book contains a chapter on rowing styles in other countries which largely concentrates on New South Wales. But on more interest is a chapter written by Australian born Frederick Kelly on sculling. The book can be found in the National Library of Australia and in the Guerin collection.
- Copies of the petition and the correspondence involved in obtaining the King's Cup as the perpetual trophy for the Men's Interstate Eight Oared Championship of Australia.
- The Australian Oarsman, a proposed monthly record published by J W Shaw in May 1926. This was a superbly produced newsletter for its day and obviously did not survive long. This May 1926 edition is the only one known to the publisher of this website. Follow this link to view a copy of it.
- 1965 Australian Amateur Rowing Council Constitution, Rules, Regatta Regulations and Laws of Boat Racing all in a small 33 page booklet. Try and get a lawyer or umpires committee to do that today! This was back in the days when races were started by shotguns. Use the link the provided to read it.
Event Programs and Related Materials
|1910||1911||1912||1913||1914||1915 - no race||1916 - no race||1917 - no race||1918 - no race||1919 - no race|
Return to Museum home page.