Scroll To Top

History of Leichhardt Rowing Club

On these Bright Waters - A Centennial History of Leichhardt Rowing Club 1886-1986
Reproduced with permission of the author Merle Kavanagh


Leichhardt Rowing Club Emblem

Compiled from Minutes, Annual Reports, Members` scrapbooks, newspaper accounts, various club programmes, etc.

Thanks are due to the following -
Stan Jones, who gave much help and encouragement and whose extensive knowledge of the club over the last 60 years was invaluable.
Neil McCallum, who was always ready to listen, advise and help in any way.
Alan Kavanagh, for photography and printing arrangements.
Jillian Kavanagh, for help with checking the manuscript.

Copyright Merle Kavanagh 1986

ISBN 1 86252 114 X

There has been so much achieved since the founding of the club in 1886. Hard times have been experienced and coped with, but the club has had many glorious successes. Individual members have brought credit to themselves and respect from oarsmen of other clubs, not only on the water but in the administration of the club and the N.S.W. Rowing Association.

Current members and old members continue with the Leichhardt tradition of self help and comradeship, which has been an integral part of the club for a century.

Our thanks to the N.S.W. Rowing Association and member clubs for their co-operation and assistance over the years, particularly Balmain, Drummoyne, Glebe, Haberfield and Sydney.

This centennial history would not have been possible without the research and enthusiasm of Merle Kavanagh, wife of an old member, who spent many hours on the project, and our special thanks are due to her.

R. STONE, President.

Website by Hope Stewart—Website Design & Management