History of Rowing in Queensland
- Table of Contents
- 1. 1859-1900
- 2. 1901-1945
- 3. 1946-1970
- 4. 1971-1982
- 5. 1983-1995
- 6. Conclusion Appendices
- A: Office Bearers
- B: Interstate Representatives
- C: International Representatives
- D: Results of the Queensland Rowing Championships
- E: Results of the GPS Head of the River
- F: Results of the BSRA Head of the River
Chapter 3 1946-1970 Restart to Still Water
Back to Chapter 2
Next to Chapter 3 Part 2 1950-1960
Chapter 3 Part 1 - 1946-50
Rowing resumed in Brisbane on March 30, 1946, with a "Welcome Home Regatta" conducted by Commercial R.C.. The programme consisted of two heats and a final of combination fours, novice pairs, challenge pairs and open fours. This appeared to be the only regatta conducted until the opening of the 1946/47 season in August.
The All Schools' Four-oar Championship was rowed on May 4, 1946, over 3/4 mile on Milton Reach. In the First Four for the Head of the River, Brisbane Boys' College won by one and a quarter lengths to Church of England Grammar School, then The Southport School and Brisbane Grammar School.
The winning crew was:- G.L. Boyd (B) B.H. Newell (2) N.F. Holland (3) J.R. Cameron (S) and V. Trevethan (Cox).
The Second Four was won by B.B.C. from C.E.G.S., B.G.S. and T.S.S..
The Third Four resulted in a dead-heat for first place between C.E.G.S and B.B.C. with C.E.G.S. third.
Brisbane State High School did not resume rowing for some time after the end of the war.
During the 1945/46 season only Brisbane, Maryborough and Bundaberg Districts had re-organised and the Q.R.C. had decided they could not get together a crew of oarsmen of sufficiently high standard to represent in the King's Cup at Penrith. No State Championships were conducted in the 1945/46 season.
The Interstate Championships were held on the Nepean River at Penrith on May 11, 1946. Merv Wood had a row-over in the Interstate Championship Single Sculls over 2 1/2 miles for the President's Cup.
R. Rawlings of Victoria, the only other entrant, was forced to withdraw with a septic heel. In the Interstate Championship Eight-oared Race over three miles for the King's Cup, Victoria defeated New South Wales by 1 3/4 lengths with a further six lengths to Western Australia, then South Australia and Tasmania.
At the A.G.M. held on August 5, 1946, the Patron elected was P.J. O'Shea, the Vice Regal patronage apparently having lapsed owing to the intervention of the 1939/45 war. The President was D.E. Joyce, Vice-Presidents were G. Boreham (Bundaberg), G.R.H. Gill (Brisbane), E.E. McCaskie (Brisbane), J. Mansfield (Maryborough) and Dr.P. Voss (Rockhampton). The Chairman was J.J. Delahunty, Honorary Secretary was W.L. Dowd and the Honorary Treasurer was F.L. Poulgrain. The Regatta Officials were G.N. Smoothey (Starter), G.R.H. Gill (Umpire) and L. Trout (Judge).
The Champion Four was held in Bundaberg on November 16, 1946, with four crews competing - Bundaberg R.C., Maryborough R.C., Wide Bay R.C. and Brisbane District (Toowong R.C.). Maryborough held the lead for the first half mile but the heavier Bundaberg crew then took the lead. At the mile mark Brisbane made a strong effort to overtake Bundaberg but were held off and with the advantage of the inside bend Bundaberg slipped away and won by five lengths to Brisbane with a further two lengths to Maryborough and Wide Bay fourth.
The winning Bundaberg R.C. crew was – C .Roebuck (B) G. Wallace (2) C. Rickert (3) E. Rickert (S) and J. Beyer (Cox).
The Champion Eights regatta was held in Rockhampton on April 5, 1947. R. Slean of Bundaberg R.C. won the Champion Sculls over 2 1/2 miles on a row-over, being the only entrant. In the Champion Under 20 Four over 1 1/4 miles there were three starters and Bundaberg R.C. defeated Maryborough R.C. by six lengths with a further length to Toowong R.C.. The winning Bundaberg crew was -
C. Volzke (B) I. Lloyd-Jones (2) N. Christie (3) N. Wallace (S) and J. Beyer (Cox).
In the Champion Eight over three miles there were four starters - Rockhampton District (Leichhardt R.C.), Bundaberg District, Maryborough District and Brisbane District. The starter got the four crews away to an even start and when they had settled down Rockhampton had a lead of about half a length on Bundaberg. After one mile it was clear that the race was between Rockhampton and Bundaberg with Brisbane trailing six lengths and Maryborough a further three lengths behind. At the half way Bundaberg went to the front with both crews rating at 35. However, with a mile to go Rockhampton drew to the lead again and slowly increased the lead to win by 1 1/2 lengths to Bundaberg with Brisbane and Maryborough trailing. The winning Rockhampton District crew from Leichhardt R.C. was - V. Harvey (B) A. Shanks (2) J. Hill (3) S. Haigh (4) R. Dawbarn (5) W. Dowse (6) G. Weden (7) V. Bartlam (S) and N. Pearson (Cox).
The All Schools' Four-oar Championship was rowed on May 3, 1947, over 3/4 mile on the Milton Reach. In the First Four for the Head of the River, Brisbane Boys' College won by one and a half lengths to Church of England Grammar School and The Southport School.
The winning crew was:- A. Wood (B) K. Mann (2) D. Newell (3) N. Wilson (S) and J.W. Cameron (Cox).
The Second Four was a dead-heat between B.B.C. and C.E.G.S. with T.S.S. third.
The Third Four was won by B.B.C. from C.E.G.S. and B.B.C..
The Old Boys' race was won by C.E.G.S..
The Australian Interstate Championships were rowed in Perth on May 5, 1947, after a postponement from May 3 because of bad weather which eventually caused the races to be shortened to two miles. Victoria won the Interstate Championship Eight-oared Race for the King's Cup from New South Wales, Western Australia and South Australia. M.T. Wood of New South Wales won the Interstate Championship Sculls for the President's Cup by six lengths to R. Rawlings of Victoria, then A. Forbes of Western Australia and I. Cook of Tasmania.
With the King's Cup being rowed in Perth Queensland was exempted from competing, but early efforts were made by Bundaberg and Rockhampton to send crews at their own expense although the proposals did not come to fruition.
At the A.A.R.C. annual meeting in Perth it was decided to confine any representation in the sculling and rowing events at the 1948 Olympic Games to a sculler and possibly a four-oared crew. In accordance with that decision a test race for fours was to be conducted by the Victorian Rowing Association on behalf of the A.A.R.C. at Lake Wendouree, Ballarat on January 3, 1948. The winners of the test race to have the prospect of being selected to represent Australia at the Games. The Q.R.C. was entitled to send a crew to the test race and Queensland oarsmen had a big prize to strive for in the coming season.
The Australian Intervarsity Boat Race was revived during the season and the race was rowed on the Nepean River at Penrith on June 7, 1947. Queensland University boated a crew but was not successful, the race being won by Sydney University.
The Annual Conference was held in Rockhampton on the Friday evening of April 4, 1947, and all districts except North Queensland were fully represented and took a keen interest in proceedings.
George Smoothey, who had first been appointed starter to the Q.R.A. on August 5, 1926, had advised that he wished to be relieved of this responsibility and the request was granted with reluctance. He had acted as starter at no less than 98 regattas and started 834 races and the Council extended their heartfelt appreciation for his services over the years.
The 1947 A.G.M. was held on August 18, 1947, and the annual report advised that Rockhampton and North Queensland Districts were now back in business. The existing clubs and their memberships were as follows:-
Brisbane District Rowing Association
- Brisbane Grammar School Old Boys' RC14
- Commercial RC 50
- Great Public Schools Old Boys' RC 11
- Toowong RC 26 101
Maryborough District Rowing Association
- Maryborough RC 26
- Wide Bay RC 1339
Bundaberg District Rowing Association
- Bundaberg RC 59 59
Rockhampton District Rowing Association
- Leichhardt RC 16
- Old Grammarians' RC 19 35
North Queensland District Rowing Assn.
- Cairns RC 41
- Innisfail RC 3071
It was regretted by all present to note the absence of three clubs - The Brisbane, the Fitzroy and the Townsville Rowing Clubs. The Townsville club at the date of the annual report had reformed and had one crew on the water. The Rockhampton District was attempting to reform the Fitzroy club. (Apparently the members had forgotten that the Fitzroy R.C. had become Leichhardt R.C. in 1919). Despite valiant efforts by the Brisbane Club's Patron (Mr. D. Joyce), President (E.E. McCaskie) and a small number of its pre-war committee headed by "George" James, the club which had a fine shed and a good fleet eventually decided that it could not carry on without active members and in July, 1947, it decided to accept the offer of amalgamation with GPSOBRC and become GPSOB & BRC. Thus GPSOB, a club who had members but a very poor shed in the Domain or who could even have been boating from the University shed where they had great difficulty in launching their boats, and an inadequate fleet, had a stroke of good fortune at the expense of the Brisbane Club's continuing misfortunes.
During the season an effort was made to extend affiliation with the Council to clubs on the Northern Rivers of New South Wales. Mainly because of the impracticability of overcoming the residential restrictions on oarsmen beyond the State border, the proposal did not materialise.
The Queensland Premiership for the season 1940/41, which because of the intervening war years had not been awarded, was presented to Bundaberg RC. The 1946/47 Premiership was also won by Bundaberg with 60 points to Toowong second on 43 points.
During the 1947/48 season the Tweed Heads & Coolangatta Rowing Club affiliated with the Brisbane District Rowing Association and the Q.R.C.. This registration was affected by the A.A.R.C. amending their constitution to include members of the T.H.& C.R.C. who resided on the New South Wales side of the border and within 10 miles of the Queensland border as residents of Queensland. The Tweed club held their first regatta at Boyds Bay, Tweed Heads on the Australia Day weekend in 1948. Tweed registered 30 members and the University of Queensland Boat Club re-appeared and registered 29 members.
The Lismore Water Brigade and Rowing Club visited Brisbane in strength in the early part of the 1947/48 season.
The Brisbane Ladies' Rowing Club restarted during 1948.
The Champion Four was rowed at Maryborough on November 1, 1947, and in accordance with the
A.A.R.C. decision to conduct a test race for aspiring Olympic four-oared crews in January, 1948, the race was rowed over 1850 metres. Seven crews were entered - North Queensland District, Rockhampton District, Bundaberg District, Bundaberg R.C., Maryborough District, Wide Bay R.C. and Brisbane District (Toowong R.C.). Squally conditions prevailed and this definitely favoured the inside positions. In a blanket finish the Bundaberg R.C. crew stroked by E. Rickert won by a canvas to Wide Bay R.C. and Maryborough District a half length back third, then close up to North Queensland District and Brisbane District and a couple of lengths to Bundaberg District and Rockhampton District.
The winning Bundaberg R.C. crew was - C. Roebuck (B) G. Wallace (2) C. Rickert (3) E. Rickert (S) and J. Beyer (Cox).
The Q.R.C. had appointed a three man committee of W. Mole (Brisbane), E. Cook (Maryborough) and R. Clemence (Bundaberg) to decide whether the winning crew was of sufficient standard to participate in the Australian Olympic Test race at Lake Wendouree. The committee decided that as the first and second crews had finished the race in sheltered conditions and little more than half a length in front of the Maryborough District crew, whom they considered had rowed the best race, then the standard was not good enough to send a crew away.
The Champion Eights regatta was rowed at Bundaberg on March 27, 1948. The Champion Sculls over 2 1/2 miles was contested by four Bundaberg scullers - N. Cullen, T. Barton, R. Slean and P. Sorrensen. The race was on fairly even terms for the first mile but then it developed into a procession. N. Cullen paddled home by at least ten lengths to T. Barton and a similar distance to R. Slean with the veteran P. Sorrensen, who was attempting a come-back, pulling a game race several lengths back in fourth place.
The Champion Under 20 Four over 1 1/4 miles was contested by four crews - Rockhampton District, Bundaberg District, Bundaberg R.C. and Wide Bay R.C.. It was a stubbornly contested race, especially over the first mile. After 3/4 mile the two Bundaberg crews were level a length ahead of Rockhampton and Wide Bay. The Bundaberg District crew slowly forged ahead to win by 1 1/2 lengths to Bundaberg R.C. then two lengths to Rockhampton and Wide Bay fourth.
The winning Bundaberg District crew was - S. de Gunst (B) E.P. Ipstein (2) D. Batson (3) S. Greenwood (S) and J. Beyer (Cox).
The Champion Eight over 3 miles attracted six crews - Rockhampton District, Bundaberg District, Bundaberg R.C., Maryborough District, Wide Bay R.C., and Brisbane District (composite). Brisbane led out from Maryborough, but after one mile Bundaberg District had a length on Brisbane. After two miles Bundaberg District had two lengths on Brisbane with Rockhampton a further length back. The Bundaberg R.C. crew dropped out of the race with about half a mile to go. Bundaberg District won easily by three lengths to Brisbane with Rockhampton a further two lengths back then Wide Bay and Maryborough.
The winning Bundaberg District crew was - C. Volzke (B) I. Lloyd-Jones (2) N. Christie (3) N. Wallace (4) A. Richardson (5) E. Rickert (6) C. Rickert (7) C. Zunker (S) and R. Clemence (Cox).
The All Schools' Four-oar Championship was rowed on April 17, 1948, over 3/4 mile on Milton Reach. In the First Four for the Head of the River, Brisbane State High School, in their first post-war appearance, won by half a length to Church of England Grammar School, followed by The Southport School, Brisbane Grammar School and Brisbane Boys' College.
The winning crew was:- K. Kehoe (B) N. Meyrick (2) J. Dowrie (3) C. Caris (S) and M. Lane (Cox).
The Second Four was won by B.B.C. from C.E.G.S., B.G.S. and B.S.H.S..
The Third Four was won by B.B.C. IV from C.E.G.S. III and C.E.G.S. IV.
The Old Boys Fours race was won by B.S.H.S. from B.B.C., C.E.G.S. and B.G.S..
The Interstate Championships were rowed on the Derwent River at Hobart on April 24, 1948. The Interstate Championship Single Sculls over 2 1/2 miles for the President's Cup was won easily by Merv Wood of New South Wales by ten lengths to R. Rawlings of Victoria with I. Cook of Tasmania third and N. Cullen of Queensland tailed off more than 200 yards away.
In the Interstate Championship Eight-oared Race over three miles for the King's Cup, Western Australia quickly went to the lead followed by Tasmania, South Australia and New South Wales. Western Australia who had gone out very fast weakened after a mile and New South Wales took the lead, but Western Australia clung on grimly with South Australia handy. Approaching halfway, as the Victorian crew was moving into a good position, their No.6 man collapsed twice in a short distance and all hopes of the crew doing justice were lost. Queensland who had been plagued by illness were ragged early, but showed improved form over the second half of the race. New South Wales shook off another challenge by Western Australia over the last 3/4 mile to win by 1 1/2 lengths to Western Australia, 1 1/2 lengths to South Australia, then Tasmania, Queensland and Victoria.
The officers appointed at the 1948 A.G.M. were:-
Patron - His Excellency Lieut. General Sir John Lavarack, K.B.E., C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O ..
President - D.E. Joyce
Vice-Presidents - G. Boreham, E.E. McCaskie, G.R.H. Gill, J. Mansfield, T. Randall
Chairman - J.J. Delahunty
Honorary Secretary - W.B. Mole
Honorary Treasurer - F.L. Poulgrain
At the Olympic Games held in London, England, from July 29 to August 14, 1948, Mervyn Wood of Australia won the Men’s Single Sculls.
The Champion Fours regatta was held in Rockhampton on November 6, 1948. There were four starters in the Champion Four over two miles - Rockhampton District (Leichhardt R.C.-Saxby stroke), Leichhardt R.C. (Bartlam stroke), Bundaberg District (Zunker stroke) and Bundaberg R.C. (Cullen stroke). After an even start the Rockhampton four stroked by Saxby went to the lead at a very fast rate, but nearing the mile post Saxby began to lower his rating and the two Bundaberg crews began to close up. Bartlam was dropping back. Zunker held a three length lead with half a mile to go and held off a challenge by Saxby to win by two lengths and a further length to Cullen with Bartlam tailed off. The Zunker crew averaged 13 stone compared to the 10 stone average for Saxby's crew.
The winning Bundaberg crew was - C. Volzke (B) E. Rickert (2) C. Rickert (3) C. Zunker (S) and J. Beyer (Cox).
The Ladies' Four-oared Championship was rowed on Milton Reach in Brisbane over 3/4 mile on March 12, 1949. The Brisbane Ladies had stored their boats overnight in the Brisbane State High School shed but forgot to bring the key on race day and the race was delayed for a quarter of an hour while a frantic chase went on for the duplicate key. The conditions were extremely rough but Bundaberg handled their boat better to win by 5 lengths to Brisbane No. I and a further 1/2 length to Brisbane No.2.
The winning Bundaberg Ladies were Misses A. Jarvis (B) H. Parry (2) D. Christsen (3) N. Kidd (S) and T. Hannam (Cox).
The Annual Conference was held in Brisbane on Friday, April 15, 1949, and again was considered to be a successful forum.
The Champion Eights regatta was held on the Hamilton Reach in Brisbane on April 16, 1949. In the Champion Sculls over 2 1/2 miles S. Rogers of Commercial R.C. won easily by nine lengths to I. Frisch of Leichhardt R.C. with N. Cullen of Bundaberg R.C. in third place.
In the Champion Under 20 Four over 1 1/4 miles Toowong R.C. led all the way to defeat Bundaberg R.C. by three lengths with a further 1 1/4 lengths to Commercial R.C..
The winning Toowong crew was - A. Wood (B) N. Wilson (2) N. Holland (3) J. Cameron (S) and D. Bray (Cox).
In the Champion Eight over three miles there were four starters - Rockhampton District, Bundaberg District, University of Queensland Boat Club and Brisbane District (GPSOB & BRC). University was leading comfortably by about two lengths at the two mile mark when they had to swerve violently and row in-river to avoid being disqualified for cutting inside a marker buoy. Brisbane took their chance and forged ahead passing the buoy. University challenged and were gaining ground but Brisbane unleashed a great finishing burst to win by 2 1/2 lengths to University with a further three lengths to Bundaberg and Rockhampton fourth.
The winning Brisbane District (GPSOB & BRC) crew was - G.K. Fraser (B) I.R. Hinwood (2) D.H. McClymont (3) A. Lennon (4) T.F. Wardrobe (5) C.K.T. Thompson (6) A.G. Hack (7) B.T. Greenland (S) J. Sherry (Cox) and E.P. Evers (Coach).
The Ladies' Championship Four-oar of Australia over 3/4 mile was rowed on the Town Reach in Brisbane on April 23, 1949. There was little between the crews early but after a quarter of a mile New South Wales began to draw away. Victoria steered a bad course and had to make a sharp correction to go through the correct span of the Victoria Bridge. Queensland were in second place for most of the race and held off a determined burst by Victoria at the finish. New South Wales won by 2 1/4 lengths to Queensland with a further 1 1/4 lengths to Victoria. The New South Wales crew were from Tweed Heads & Coolangatta R.C. whose male rowers were affiliated with Queensland but whose female members were still affiliated with New South Wales.
The Queensland Ladies were Misses A. Jarvis (B) H. Parry (2) D. Christsen (3) N. Kidd (S) and K. Hannam (Cox).
The All Schools' Four-oar Championship was rowed on April 23, 1949, over 3/4 mile on Milton Reach. In the First Four for the Head of the River, Brisbane Boys' College won by one and a quarter lengths to Church of England Grammar School, then 2 feet to Brisbane Grammar School, 2 feet to The Southport School and 2 feet to Brisbane State High School.
The winning crew was:- J. Slater (B) J. Byth (2) H. Smith (3) A.C. Moore (S) and J. Fisher (Cox).
The Second Four was won by B.B.C. from C.E.G.S., B.S.H.S., T.S.S. and B.G.S..
The Third Four over 1/2 mile was won by B.B.C. IV from C.E.G.S. IV and C.E.G.S. III.
The Old Boys race was won by B.B.C. from B.S.H.S. and T.S.S..
The Interstate Championships were rowed at Murray Bridge on the Murray River in South Australia on May 7, 1949. Merv Wood of New South Wales easily won the Interstate Championship Sculls over 2 1/2 miles for the President's Cup from J.G. Williams of Victoria followed by S. Rogers of Queensland.
In the Interstate Championship Eight-oared Race over three miles for the King's Cup, Western Australia moved to a half length lead over New South Wales after 100 yards with Victoria a few feet behind. New South Wales kept up the pressure and by the two mile mark had a four length margin on Western Australia with Victoria two lengths behind. These positions were maintained to the finish with New South Wales winning by 4 1/2 lengths to Western Australia, a short distance to Victoria, then Tasmania, South Australia and Queensland in that order 200 to 300 yards behind. This qualified the New South Wales eight as Australian representatives for the Empire Games in New Zealand in February, 1950.
The Intervarsity Race was held in Brisbane in June, 1949, and after two weeks of perfect Queensland winter weather for training, turned on one of the worst westerly winds for many years. The race was transferred to Bulimba Reach and shortened to two miles but even then the Tasmanian crew sank at half way. Sydney University won from Melbourne and Queensland.
During the year Mr. P.J. O'Shea, Patron of the Q.R.C. for several years passed away as did H. Wetherell, a life member of Commercial R.C. and author of a history of the Commercial R.C..
Bundaberg R.C. again won the Queensland Premiership with 95 points to GPSOB&BRC on 68 points.
The office bearers remained unchanged at the 1949 A.G.M. except that 12 Vice-Presidents were elected instead of the six in previous years.
The boat race officials were:- G.R.H. Gill (Umpire), L. Trout (Judge), R.D. Fraser (Starter) and E.E. McCaskie (Timekeeper),
On August 13, 1949, a Commercial R.C. four-oared crew set out to challenge the Brisbane to Ipswich rowing record. According to the newspaper report they were racing against a record of 5 hours 35 minutes set in 1888, but the record had been set on January 15, 1893, when another Commercial crew covered the distance in 4 hours and 52 minutes.
The 1949 crew of J. Bell (B) D. Mercer (2) K. Kehoe (3) N. Caris (S) and D. Whittington (Cox) were feted in the newspaper as having broken a 61 year old record, but their time of 4 hours 59 minutes had not set a new record.
The Champion Four of Queensland was rowed over two miles on the Johnstone River at Innisfail on October 30, 1949. Because of the distance involved there were only two local crews entered - North Queensland District (Cairns R.C.) and Cairns R.C.. There was no report in the metropolitan newspapers and the Innisfail newspaper's bare report stated that the North Queensland District had defeated Cairns R.C. for the Champion Fours title.
The winning crew was listed - Hawes (B) Stanley (2) Stanley (3) Gray (S) and no coxswain named.
The Ladies' Four-oared Championship was rowed at Bundaberg over 3/4 mile on March 25, 1950. Bundaberg stroked by B. Lister defeated the Brisbane crew stroked by D. Hunter with a Bundaberg crew stroked by H. Parry third. No margins were given.
The winning Bundaberg Ladies were Misses M. Brewer (B) D. Dittman (2) A. Dittman (3) B. Lister (S) and Mr. B. Anderson (Cox).
The Champion Eights regatta was held in Maryborough on April 8, 1950. In the Champion Sculls over 2 1/2 miles S. Rogers of Commercial R.C. won comfortably by six lengths although I. Frisch of Leichhardt R.C. had drawn nearly level with 3/4 mile to go. L. Lister of Bundaberg R.C. was third followed by R. Slean also of Bundaberg R.C. in fourth place.
In the Champion Under 20 Four over 1 1/4 miles Bundaberg R.C. won by six lengths to Toowong R.C. with Brisbane District (Tweed Heads) three lengths away in third place.
The winning Bundaberg crew was J. Gammie (B) J. Itzstein (2) R. Wooten (3) J. Shaw (S) and B. Anderson (Cox).
In the Champion Eight over three miles there were five crews - Rockhampton District, Bundaberg District, Maryborough District, Brisbane District (Commercial R.C.) and University of Queensland Boat Club. Bundaberg led out and after half a mile was half a length ahead of University. At this point Maryborough broke a slide and stopped rowing. At the mile there was little between Bundaberg and University with Rockhampton half a length back. University then lifted their rating and took the lead with Brisbane coming with a tremendous burst. Holding their rating Brisbane drew level with University and at halfway had a length lead. With 3/4 mile to go Brisbane had to move cross river to pass on the correct side of a buoy and University led by a canvas. University then had the inside running on the bend and won by 2 1/2 lengths to Brisbane, five lengths to Bundaberg and twelve lengths to Rockhampton.
The winning University crew was - E.A. Douglass (B) A.A. Seawright (2) C.J. Brett (3) L.J. Lambert (4) J.M. Dowrie (5) D. Kronfeld (6) D.H. McClymont (7) P.A. Taylor (S) R.G. Bourne (Cox) and A.D. Brown (Coach).
At the 1949 A.G.M. a new rule gave the Q.R.C. committee power to appoint a panel of selectors to choose the State representatives, but the panel saw no option but to appoint the winning University eight.
At the Empire Games held in Auckland, New Zealand, in February, 1950, M. Wood won the Single Sculls, and won the Double Sculls with M. Riley. Australia won the Pair Minus and the Eight, and came second in the Four with Cox.
The All Schools' Four-oar Championship was rowed on April 15, 1950, over 1 mile upstream to the finish opposite the Regatta Hotel. In the First Four for the Head of the River, Brisbane Boys' College won by 2 feet to Brisbane State High School, then Brisbane Grammar School, The Southport School and Church of England Grammar School.
The winning crew was:- J. Slater (B) D. Simpson (2) A.J. Moore (3) A.C. Moore (S) D.W. McLeod (Cox) and B.A. Junner (Coach).
The Second Four over 3/4 mile was won by C.E.G.S. from B.B.C., T.S.S., and B.G.S..
The Third Four over 1/2 mile was won by B.B.C. from C.E.G.S. and C.E.G.S..
The Old Boys Eight over 1 mile was won by B.B.C. from C.E.G.S, B.G.S., B.S.H.S. and T.S.S..
An article in the Sunday Mail of April 21, 1950, gives details of John Sullivan, a 74 year old, who still sculled and who had just won the handicap sculls at the Easter carnival in Maryborough. He had won the Champion Sculls of Queensland in 1904. He also rowed in the Champion Fours and rowed bow in the State eight which competed in the Interstate Championships in Adelaide in 1907, coming third. He had a standing challenge in southern newspapers to race anyone in Australia over 70 years of age for a side wager, but so far had not received any offers. He attributed his health and strength to years of swinging the hammer in his blacksmith's shop.
The Ladies' Championship Four-oar of Australia over 3/4 mile for the U.L.V.A. Trophy was rowed on the Parramatta River, Sydney on April 29, 1950. New South Wales won by one length to Victoria with a further two lengths to Queensland. Once again the New South Wales crew was from the Tweed Heads & Coolangatta R.C. and they made up three lengths in the last quarter-mile to win the race.
The Queensland Ladies were Misses M. Brewer (B) D. Dittman (2) A. Dittman (3) B. Lister (S) and Mr. B. Anderson (Cox).
The Interstate Championships were rowed on the Yarra River in Melbourne on May 6, 1950. Merv Wood of New South Wales won the Interstate Championship Single Sculls over 2 1/2 miles for the President's Cup narrowly from R. Rawlings of Victoria with W.A. Jones of Tasmania third and S. Rogers of Queensland fourth. This win made Woods the first sculler to win the Australian title five times.
The Interstate Championship Eight-oared Race over 2 1/2 miles for the King's Cup saw New South Wales lead all the way and hold off a challenge from Victoria half a mile from the finish to win by four lengths to Victoria, 2 1/2 lengths to Western Australia, then South Australia, Tasmania and Queensland.
During the 1949/50 season, a rules sub-committee of J.J. Delahunty, J.H. Cameron, W.L. Dowd and F.L. Poulgrain was appointed to revise and consolidate the rules and bye-laws of the Council which were sadly out of date. Many alterations and additions were submitted to the Annual Conference at Maryborough, the majority of which were accepted, and went to the 1950 A.G.M. for ratification.
For the 1949/50 season Bundaberg R.C. again won the Premiership but the competition was much tighter with Bundaberg on 72 points and University on 68 points.
Wilf Mole submitted his resignation as Honorary Secretary to the 1950 A.G.M. since his business activities would prevent further involvement, particularly with the 1951 King's Cup regatta to be held in Brisbane. R. G . Longmore was appointed Honorary Secretary in the only change to the office bearers. The Honorary Life Members of the Council at this stage were listed as G.N. Smoothey, G.R.H. Gill, and R.C .Gregory.
The name of the Council must have been changed at this A.G.M. to become the "Queensland Amateur Rowing Council".
Back to Chapter 2
Next to Chapter 3 Part 2 1950-1960