Table of Contents
- The beginning
- Opening ceremony of club premises
- Early years
- 19th century social events
- Loss of the club's first shed
- Into the 20th century
- The social scene before the war
- The first world war
- Between the world wars
- The 2nd world war
- The winning years after WWII
- The struggles of the sixties and seventies
- The last decade
- Some rowing highlights
- Junior oarsmen
- Regattas and the fleet
- Some accidents and incidents
- Old boys/reunions
- Some club personalities
- Honorary life members
- Trophies awarded
- Roll of office bearers
- Coaches and Coxswains
- Current Committee and members 1985-86
- Members of Leichhardt Old Oarsmen's Union
- NSWRA International representatives
- NSWRA Interstate representatives
- Successes in NSWRA Championships
- NSWRA Ladies Championships
- Boat race officials
- Members who served as NSWRA office bearers
5. Loss of the Club's First Shed
On 2nd June 1897 the Daily Telegraph at Sydney reported on the previous day's storm—
ENORMOUS DESTRUCTION OF PROPERTY. NARROW ESCAPES FROM DEATH. LEICHHARDT ROWING SHED DESTROYED.
Along the foreshores of Long Cove an immense amount of damage was done. The Leichhardt Rowing Club's shed was levelled to the water's edge. The building was entirely demolished, and the whole of the club's fleet of boats destroyed, besides two valuable outriggers owned by Mr. W. Lambert, the well-known amateur sculler and several other boats privately owned. ... The value of the boats destroyed is estimated at about £300. The boatshed cost a similar amount. It consisted of a main building 70 ft, long by 35 ft. wide, erected on stone piers 2 ft. above high water mark, and had a verandah at both ends, as also a balcony, for the convenience of visitors desiring to view regattas and club racing events. A large floating stage was provided for the purpose of launching and hauling up boats. Dressing-rooms and caretaker's quarters were conveniently fitted up inside.
W. Lambert sent a telegram to Fred Walsh saying - SEVERE STORM BOATSHED AND BOATS A MASS OF RUINS.
An "Extra Special Meeting" of the members was called in the Bank Chambers of the Leichhardt Town Hall on 8th June 1897 when letters of sympathy were read from Glebe and Balmain Rowing Clubs, Balmain offering free use of boats etc. until such time as the club shed was rebuilt. A subscription list was started and resulted in the sum of £23.9.0 being promised at the meeting, with further subscription lists to be circulated by members, the N.S.W. Rowing Association and the various rowing clubs. Tenders for rebuilding were called for and Mr. W. Smith's tender for £ 103 was accepted. A month or so later, all the old boats, etc. were sold to Mr. Golding for 32/-d. The N.S.W. Rowing Association were asked to forego the club's subscription for 1897. The punt and planking were given in settlement of an account. The club would have to start again.
By August they were negotiating for an eight and a skiff, the subscription lists had been returned with their pledges and the Moonlight Excursions were in full swing and helping to boost the funds. It would not be long before they were rowing their own boats from their own shed again.