E John Hadaway
South Melbourne Rowing Club (VIC) now Albert Park South Melbourne Rowing Club (VIC)
Ernest John Hadaway was born in Kent, England and lived at 239 Bridport St, Albert Park. Known as John, he joined the South Melbourne club during the season of 1915-16. He has no recorded wins.
John was a blacksmith and enlisted on 15th January, 1917, aged 28. Like many blacksmiths, he joined the Australian Flying Corps as a private, and remained in England for the duration of his service. In 1919, he took leave to work as a blacksmith for C Healy and Sons.
John married Dora Evelyn in June 1917, just three months after arriving in England, where his mother still lived. He came back to Australia with his wife and child, returning to the club. In 1919, he opened a blacksmith shop, which is now known as EJ Hadaway Pty Ltd. 1925, he sponsored a pairs race as a former member.
- Hadaway family